Dear Camp Judaea Family:
It is with a heart filled with emotion that I write to let you know that I am resigning my position as Executive Director of Camp Judaea, effective October 4, 2016, to become Chief Executive Officer of the American Camp Association (ACA). I am extremely proud of the work we have accomplished together during the last five years. Camp Judaea is stronger for it and will continue to grow. Leading the ACA will allow me to extend my passion for the power of camp to children and families across North America.
Since 1990, I’ve devoted my career to enriching the lives of Jewish children, youth and adults through high quality camp experiences. I believe that the camp experience is essential to every child’s growth and education. Through it, children learn character, courage, responsibility, resourcefulness, and cooperation. My work as CEO at the American Camp Association will focus on elevating the field of youth development and camp nationally through outreach, research, accreditation, professional development, public awareness and public policy.
In just a few days, I am heading to Camp Judaea to direct my fifth summer season, and I can’t wait! The year-round and summer leadership team have planned an outrageously fun, adventurous and meaningful summer for our campers. I look forward to leading the very best Israel-focused, pluralist Jewish summer community where life-long friendships are kindled and everyone learns to share, care, collaborate, think, lead and wonder! I also look forward to breaking ground on our beautiful new Chadar Ochel at the conclusion of camp this season. Plus, I am already working closely with the Board and staff leadership on an executive transition for the fall.
In nearly five years together at CJ, we have:
- Expanded camper enrollment by over 50%;
- Increased camper scholarships by more than 60%;
- Raised nearly $4 million to modernize our facilities;
- Built new cabins, aquatic facilities, athletic courts and have more in the pipeline, including our soon-to-be-completed new Chadar Ochel, additional new cabins, a new Arts Center, an expanded Beit Knesset and other needed improvements;
- Adopted a strategic plan that envisions gradually increased enrollment, highest quality program innovations, strengthened organizational capacity and sustainable facilities;
- Invested thousands of hours in creating the most innovative and progressive programs in which future Jewish community leaders are inspired and encouraged;
- Been the recipient of over $1,200,000 in grants from the Foundation for Jewish Camp and its partners to advance strategic planning, Judaic and Israel programming, professional development and recruitment efforts for which we are deeply grateful.
- Strengthened a small summer camp community where everyone feels understood, valued and nurtured and we are celebrated for our focus on communal kindness and respect and on accommodating the needs of each individual camper.
Today, Camp Judaea offers the very best Israel-focused, pluralist Jewish camp experiences anywhere. This will continue, l’dor v’dor, for generations to come. Camp Judaea is a healthy, strong and vibrant organization and I look forward to watching it grow from strength to strength.
Pam, Daniel and I will continue to live in Atlanta and our love, commitment and dedication to Camp Judaea will continue, too. We will always be with you as we carry you all very close in our hearts. Thank you for the opportunity to be part of this amazing community!
Shalom, ahava, v’CJ l’netzach, (Peace, Love and CJ Forever)
Dear CJ Family,
The Camp Judaea Board of Directors is deeply grateful to Tom Rosenberg for his significant contributions and outstanding service throughout his notable five years with Camp Judaea and twenty-seven years serving the camping community. We believe his passion for overnight camping and relentless focus on excellence have made Camp Judaea a leader in the Jewish overnight camp industry. With Tom’s departing in early October, the Board of Directors will work diligently with passion and commitment to ensure a seamless transition as we begin the process to hire a new Executive Director.
Under Tom’s leadership, Camp Judaea has elevated its programming, creating a culture that fosters innovation and supports the development of new ideas. We have celebrated enrollment growth and facilities improvements and expansion under his leadership. The internal management of our business is strong and sustainable. An outstanding professional team and summer staff will work with Tom through the summer to ensure a smooth transition as we celebrate our 56th season.
As Camp Judaea continues to evolve, we are focused on aligning our resources and programs to best serve our campers, staff members, and families and are excited about the opportunities ahead. We are fortunate to have such a knowledgeable and capable leadership team already in place that can execute on our strategic initiatives while we identify the right individual to lead Camp Judaea into a new era.
The Board will continue to be actively engaged with the leadership team to drive Camp Judaea’s future success and will manage the transition. We will announce our transition plans and begin a comprehensive search process in the next 3-4 weeks. The Board is confident about our strategic position and plan, and we view this transition as an opportunity to drive Camp Judaea forward and accelerate our strategic efforts.
We are profoundly grateful for the visionary leadership Tom has provided our camp and our industry. Tom will be a strong partner to Camp Judaea in his new capacity as CEO of the American Camp Association. We will always consider Tom, Pam and Daniel members of the Camp Judaea Family.
Michele Burger, Chairperson
Camp Judaea Board of Directors